Wednesday 4 June 2008

Weezer: 'We want to play Reading and Leeds Festivals'

Weezer have revealed that they're itching to play this year's Reading and Leeds Festivals.

The Los Angeles foursome, whose sixth, self-titled studio album is due out on June 16, feel it'd be a challenge performing alongside headliners Metallica, The Killers and Rage Against The Machine.

Speaking to [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_7431000/7431110.stm Newsbeat]BBC Newsbeat[/url], bassist Scott Shriner said: "I sure hope we can play Reading and Leeds, I personally would push for us to play there."

He added: "I don't feel like a lot of people know who we are in Europe and the UK so to get up and play in front of that many people that don't know us is always a really exciting challenge to me.

"I've had all kinds of things thrown at me at these festivals but when you see people who have never heard your music before enjoy themselves there's no better feeling."

The first single from the band's forthcoming new album, known as 'The 'Red Album', will be 'Pork And Beans', due for physical release June 23. Shriner talked about the lyrics from the single, which reference producer Timbaland.

Shriner said: "I think it's awesome that Madonna worked with the likes of Timbaland and I hope we get to work with some of those producers that worked on her album too. I really respect them."